Former President Mohamed Nasheed has said that the assessments up until now have revealed that his government was overthrown through a "coup d'etat" and that about 300 of the security force officers have helped to sustain it.
At the ceremony held at the Male City Council hall to launch the book “Siyaasee Cancer” (political cancer) by Ali Moosa Didi and a report issued on the findings of experts from Denmark pertaining the vents of February 7, Nasheed said that the information reflects to the fact that around 300 of the security forces had been actively involved in the disruption of harmony in the Maldives. Nasheed also accused that the 300 officers are still trying to sustain it (coup).
“We are seeing the violence increasing by the day as they try to uphold the ‘coup’. We are clearly aware of the dangers which we may face if the coup is sustained.” Nasheed said.
Former President Nasheed said that the incident which happened on February 7 was a major offence and cannot be waived without action, for the peace of the Indian Ocean as well as the whole world. He added that MDP believes that the work done by the 300 trying to prolong the ‘coup’ can be stopped by its ‘direct action’.
“We can change the current situation and incidents by the direct action (protests)” Nasheed said.
Professor Anders Hendrickson stated via Skype that the report was compiled on information that he had received on his visit to the Maldives and based upon local and international media reports and through analyzing the data and videos. He stated that it cannot be clearly pronounced that the transfer of power to the new government was legally and that Nasheed had been forced out of office fearing the safety of the nation. He added that the events that have transpired in the Maldives are in violation of local and international laws.