Former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom has responded to repeated claims by former President Mohamed Nasheed that he had been the mastermind behind the February 7 'coup'.
In the trip to the America, speaking to the news media and high ranking U.S officials, former President Nasheed had been repeatedly claiming that former President Gayoom is the instigator behind the 7th February ‘coup’ and that ‘Maumoon is back’.
In response to the allegations by Nasheed, Gayoom said that he had no role in ousting the former President Mohamed Nasheed by any means and that he never executed any activities outside the contours of the law.
In his statement President Gayoom however noted that his Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) had joined thousands of people to raise concern over the efforts by Nasheed’s government to derail and undermine the Islamic faith of the nation.
“For that reason PPM participated in the demonstrations against the government by the opposition political parties and the civil society coalition. It is the peoples’ democratic right to protest against their leaders to make them more accountable. We did not act out of this context. Hence I want to firmly clear any doubts that the allegations made by former President Mohamed Nasheed that the events of February 7 was premeditated and that I was the mastermind behind the ‘coup’ is completely absurd” Gayoom said.
He added that he and his family had been targeted by Nasheed’s administration and that he had not acted against the acts outside the bounds of the law. He added that he was the first person to congratulate former President Mohamed Nasheed upon being elected and that he had carried out the process of the transition of power whole heartedly.
Maumoon also responded to Nasheed’s claims that his government was ousted in a ‘coup’. He said that Nasheed resigned on his own, on live television and added that President Dr. Mohamed Waheed Hassan Manik had taken his oath of office according to the law.