State television station, Television Maldives (TVM) has stated that the CCTV footage from February 7, which shows the activities of the security forces inside the station on the day had not been lost.
TVM made the statement countering the claims made by Maldives Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) board vice-Chairman, Mohamed Shafraz Hafiz that the footage had been lost.
TVM Chief Operating Officer (COO) Mohamed ‘Mondhu’ Asif said that the CCTV footage showing the activities of the security forces inside the station had been sent to the Commission of National Inquiry (CNI).
“We do not usually keep the CCTV footage archived. The CCTV system stores 7 days of footage, after 7 days it’s automatically deleted. But the footage from February 7 has been stored. It was not stored upon orders from anyone, but it was stored as some high level officials here had deemed it important to do so,” Mondhu said.
Shafraz stated in his own personal blog that the CCTV footages from 8.00 to 11.00 in the morning of February 7, had been lost by TVM. He further stated that he had become aware of it when the CNI had asked for the footages. However, he had not disclosed how the footages were lost.
He also stated in his blog that the case must be investigated.
Shafraz stated on Friday night that he had written the blog entry based on information received from TVM. He later admitted that he believed the statement made by TVM COO Mondhu with regard to the matter.