President Mohamed Waheed Hassan Manik today provided information to the newly reconstituted Commission of National Inquiry (CNI) set up to probe the circumstances surrounding the transfer of power on February 7.
Waheed had earlier given his account of the events before the CNI had been reconstituted in June.
Government Spokesperson Abbas Adil Riza detailed that President Waheed had gone to the CNI upon request by the Commission. To that end, he added that Waheed had provided information to CNI from 10.00-11.45 this morning.
“President Waheed has answered all questions posed by the CNI,” he said.
CNI had stressed that though the deadline set to complete the Commission's report was July 31, the new date to complete the investigation report is expected to be by the end of August. In addition, the Commission detailed that it would hold discussions with the government to extend the period to carry out its mandate.
The delay in completing the report according to CNI was down to the fact that over 200 people had registered to provide information related to the events of the regime change and hence the Commission wants to facilitate the process of obtaining accounts from as many people as possible.
In addition, the holdup in reconstituting the composition of the Commission was another reason for the delay in completing the report, CNI had said.
“We are striving to finish the interviews within this month. A specific date will be given to the government after we decide on the period needed to write up the report. We are really confident that we can complete the Commission’s work by August 31,” CNI member Dr Ibrahim Yasir had said.