Six police officers sent for prosecution over Feb 8 "assaults": PIC

Hussain Fiyaz Moosa, Haveeru Online
Feb 07, 2013 - 11:45 1 comment
  • Police take away an injured protester during the MDP protest on February 8, 2012. FILE PHOTO

Cases of six police officers have been sent for prosecution to be charged with beating opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) supporters during the protest on February 8, 2012 while Home Minister has been advised to dismiss the officers, Police Integrity Commission (PIC) said Wednesday.

PIC President Dr Abdulla Waheed told the Parliament's Government Accountability Committee that the commission is currently probing cases of 29 police officers who had beaten the protesters during the MDP protest the day following the then President Mohamed Nasheed's controversial resignation.

Though the commission had advised the dismissal of six officers out of the 29, it has not been confirmed whether it had been done so, he added.

Vice President of the Commission Hala Hameed said the dismissal of the six officers with enough evidence to prove that they had "assaulted" the protesters had been advised as a considerable amount of time may lapse before they are sentenced and the commission does not wish such officers to remain on active duty.

Despite videographic evidence of beatings by police, five cases remain pending as the officers could not be identified while sufficient evidence is not available in 11 other cases, Dr Waheed explained.

In addition to the PIC members, Prosecutor General Ahmed Muizzu and officials of the Human Rights Commission of Maldives (HRCM) admitted that the police brutality on February 6, 7, and 8 had not been investigated properly and due justice had not been served thus far.

  • Bookmark
  • Print

1 Comments

To have full access to the interactive features available in Haveeru Online please register or .

  • BookmarkBookmark
  • PrintPrint