Elections commission on Tuesday said it has stopped all preparations for Saturday's second round of the presidential elections following the Supreme Court injunction delaying the runoff.
Vice president of the commission Ahmed Fayaz Hassan told Haveeru that they had stopped all processes related to the polls following the injunction.
However, the commission is currently discussing over the matter, he added.
The injunction was issued after all administrative processes of the runoff had been completed and ballot papers had also been dispatched to seven atolls for the runoff.
Elections commission had said the state will incur significant financial losses as a result of the delay.
Meanwhile, MDP has decided to "protest until justice is served."
Opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) presidential candidate Mohamed Nasheed had registered an overwhelming majority in the first round with over 45 percent of the votes.
He will face Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) presidential candidate Abdulla Yamin who just about pipped JP's Gasim Ibrahim to second place with a difference of about three thousand votes.
The former president had called on the elections commission to ignore the injunction and proceed with polling on Saturday.
Hours before the injunction, MDP had passed a resolution in parliament asking all state institutions to cooperate with the elections commission in holding the runoff on Saturday.
Nasheed had urged the elections commission to comply with the resolution instead of the Supreme Court injunction.