Former President Mohamed Nasheed has expressed concern over the Police and Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) dismissing its officers from various ranks before the Commission of National Inquiry (CNI) probe in to the circumstances surrounding the transfer of power on February 7 is completed.
In a press statement Nasheed expressed disappointment and stated that the two institutions had threatened and dismissed several of its officers from different ranks within the past six months prior to the CNI report which is scheduled to be published on August 31.
“During August, two high ranking police officers, Chief Superintendent of Police, Mohamed Hameed and Superintendent of Police, Ibrahim Adnan Anees had been dismissed from the service and Superintendent of Police, Ibrahim ‘Lady’ Manik had been transferred to another post. In addition, MNDF Medical Service Commanding Officer’s Assistant, Captain Dr. Fathimath Thahseena had been dismissed during the last week,” Nasheed’s statement detailed.
Brigadier General Ibrahim Mohamed Didi, who served the military for 32 years resigned last month, while former Chief of Defence Force, Major General Moosa Ali Jaleel and the vice-Chief of Defence Force, Farhath Shaheer also resigned.
Nasheed said that the transfer of power on February 7 will be investigated by the CNI and that the measures to be taken would depend on the commission’s report. He urged both institutions to refrain from dismissing, promoting or subjecting their officers to any kind of threats or intimidation.
“Hence, I advice all officers of the State to refrain from resigning until the CNI report is published” Nasheed said.