- Davey Grant scored one of the knockouts of the summer months when he finished his UFC 251 opponent Martin Day in the 3rd round of their struggle Saturday.
- Grant and Day were being the initial people to struggle on “Combat Island,” which is a four-event and two-week residency on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi to support the UFC keep international events throughout the pandemic.
- Even though Grant received he by no implies experienced it simple as he was discharged from clinic hours afterwards with a fractured jaw and a fractured nose.
- “It truly is all the things I needed,” Grant, who was offered a $50,000 efficiency reward, mentioned.
- Stop by Insider’s homepage for extra tales.
Battle ISLAND — Davey Grant was just one of the to start with two athletes to compete at UFC 251 on Saturday, and fought so very well he was supplied a $50,000 bonus by the UFC.
Grant defeat Martin Working day with a still left hook knockout which was so horrific it still left his opponent motionless on the canvas midway by means of the third and final round.
Grant and Working day fought the to start with match on “Fight Island,” which is a quarantined region on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi which was specially developed to enable UFC to keep worldwide events for the duration of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
But even with the early finish, Grant by no suggests experienced it uncomplicated as he had to combat by means of lots of significant facial injuries, he reported.
Publishing on Twitter close to five several hours soon after the fight, very long prior to the main celebration at UFC 251 in the Flash Forum had even started, Grant said on Twitter that he had been taken to the clinic.
“Just obtained again from the hospital,” he mentioned. “Jaw is fractured in two destinations and also a fractured nose!”
Irrespective, he thanked the UFC, president Dana White, and matchmaker Sean Selby.
“It truly is every thing I required,” Grant mentioned. “And I am so grateful to have experienced this option. Respect to Martin Working day — true warrior.”
—Davey Grant (@DaveyGrantMMA) July 12, 2020
As a result of the fence of the Octagon at the conclusion of Grant’s battle, White could be heard yelling: “Davey … very good occupation nowadays. Congratulations.”
Grant informed White at the time that he could truly feel that he was injured, and that a $50,000 reward would be life-altering.
“We are going to get it figured out,” White stated.
Hrs afterwards, by way of official communications from the UFC, Insider discovered that Grant was a single of the 4 athletes at UFC 251 to be rewarded with the bonus.
Other athletes to get the bonus involved Jiri Prochazka, who, like Grant scored a emphasize-reel knockout, and Jessica Andrade and Rose Namajunas who manufactured the “Battle of the Evening,” which Namajunas edged on a break up final decision verdict.
With UFC 251 banked, the “Battle Island” competition carries on with displays on Wednesday July 15, Saturday July 18, and Saturday July 25.
Go through far more:
Explorer. Communicator. Introvert. Typical problem solver. Devoted writer. Unapologetic coffee advocate.