The measure sprang from a suggestion by the company’s not too long ago-declared social justice process force.
Common New music Group is creating voting less complicated for its U.S. employees by making Election Working day 2020, Nov. 3, a paid organization vacation. The firm announced the news to staffers in an inside memo Friday (July 17) and obtained by Billboard.
“After all, the right to vote is the very foundation of democracy — potentially of liberty itself,” reads the memo, which notes that only 56% of eligible U.S. voters forged a ballot in the 2016 presidential election. “As Individuals, we have fought long and tough to get the appropriate to vote. It took 91 years immediately after the Constitution was enacted till folks of color received the appropriate, and even then, it was only males. It took 143 several years right after the Structure right until girls received it. The proper to vote was difficult won.”
The organization getaway was an idea proposed to management by UMG’s Task Force for Meaningful Improve — which was released int he wake of nationwide protests adhering to the Could 25 killing of George Floyd at the palms of Minneapolis police officers. The memo points out that the forthcoming Election Day holiday is an growth of UMG’s preexisting coverage, which currently gave U.S. staff members two hrs of compensated time off (three several hours in Tennessee, as mandated by state regulation) to vote. That exact same coverage will stay in area likely forward for all other elections, including primaries, particular elections and early voting.
In addition to the new coverage, the memo delivers information and facts on a wide range of election-associated problems, together with assistance on how to vote early, check out voter registration position, request an absentee ballot, obtain a designated polling area and verify how the pandemic will impression every state’s election techniques. It notes that UMG and the Endeavor Drive for Meaningful Improve are partnering with many voting companies and will be furnishing more voting-similar information and pursuits in the coming months and months.
The Task Pressure for Meaningful Alter is co-chaired by UMG government vp, typical counsel and Def Jam interim chairman and CEO Jeff Harleston and Motown Data president and Capitol New music Group government vp Ethiopia Habtemariam, when 30 other UMG workforce are serving as customers. On June 4, the business unveiled a first class of motion for the endeavor power, which includes a $25 million “Change Fund” to be invested throughout six areas of emphasis: assist/charitable offering, global, inside/institutional alter, legislative/public policy, companions and programming/curation.
Although creating Election Working day a organization holiday isn’t really usual in the U.S., a couple firms, which include Twitter and Uber, not too long ago executed the policy to make it a lot easier for employees to vote. UMG appears to be the very first main songs company to do so in the U.S., wherever voter turnout is historically minimal as opposed to other formulated nations.
In accordance to a Pew Research Heart assessment of U.S. Census Bureau details, 14% of nonvoters in the 2016 presidential election reported they failed to vote due due to the fact they have been also occupied or experienced conflicting perform and faculty schedules.
You can read the whole UMG memo down below.
Currently, Common Audio Group is saying a new policy that was proposed by the Activity Pressure for Significant Change, to help you exercise your ideal to vote in the impending U.S. elections.
Soon after all, the proper to vote is the very basis of democracy – most likely of freedom itself. As Us residents, we have fought extensive and hard to win the appropriate to vote. It took 91 decades after the Constitution was enacted till folks of color received the suitable, and even then, it was only males. It took 143 several years after the Constitution until gals gained it. The right to vote was difficult received.
In 2016, only 56% of suitable voters participated in the presidential election. As famous political observer Larry Sabato explained, “Every election is established by the individuals who demonstrate up.”
UMG Voting Guidance Policies – Up-to-date!
At UMG, we believe that each individual qualified citizen really should vote. Our Policy Handbook states that, “UMG encourages all employees who are eligible to vote, to register and vote in federal, state and nearby elections.”
Here’s what we’re executing to enable:
· Election Working day (November 3) Complete-Day Enterprise “Holiday”
· In buy to enable assure employees’ means to vote, Election Working day (November 3, 2020) will be a entire-day getaway (eight several hours) for all U.S.-dependent UMG workers.
· Other Paid Time Off to Vote
· This year’s Election Working day Holiday complements our lengthy-standing “voting time off coverage,” which can be used to vote in other elections – these as primary elections or unique elections or early voting. This supplies U.S.-centered employees who are qualified to vote in the U.S. with up to two hrs of paid out time off to vote (up to 3 several hours of paid out time off for Tennessee voters, by condition legislation there).
· This compensated time should really be taken at the beginning or close of your standard workday. You have to give your supervisor fair advance discover that you will want to just take time off. Facts and “Voting Time Off Ask for Form” readily available In this article.
· Beneficial Information on How to Vote
· There are many ways to vote in addition to in-man or woman voting on November 3. Presented this year’s COVID-19 pandemic, numerous folks are voting by mail (also known as “absentee voting” or “voting from home”), exactly where it is available. Others are voting in-person, but prior to November 3 – this is recognised as “early voting.” Here is some practical history.
· Test Your Registration!
· Suitable voters will have to register to vote in progress. If you have moved, your registration need to be updated with your existing deal with. Essential: several states have been purging voter lists and deleting voters, for a selection of reasons but especially individuals men and women who could not have voted in modern elections. Get a minute NOW to ensure that you are still registered, so you are not prohibited from voting.
· Examine your registration position In this article. AND FOR Those people WHO Want TO Sign-up, SEE Below.
· Absentee (“Vote by Mail”) Voting
· A lot of states have “vote by mail” applications for those who aren’t equipped to vote in-person on November 3. IMPORTANTLY, for the reason that of the COVID-19 pandemic, some states have broadened eligibility for “voting by mail.” To see if you are qualified to vote by mail, remember to examine Below.
· Early In-Person Voting
· Some voters want to vote in-individual but are both unable to do so on November 3 or merely want to keep away from the extensive lines that can plague in-particular person voting on that day. For those who desire this “early voting,” see Right here for data on procedures and timing in your state.
· In-Human being Voting on November 3 – Examine Your Voting Area!
· If you’re voting in-person on November 3, be sure to examine Here for data about your voting place.
· Continue to be Informed!
· The COVID-19 pandemic will probable influence lots of deadlines, voting areas and instructions. We’ll get the job done to hold you apprised, but you need to also examine Below for details on how the pandemic is impacting your state’s elections.
UMG and the Activity Force for Significant Adjust are partnering with several voting businesses. We’ll have heaps far more info and activities to come in the weeks and months in advance. Be confident to go through the weekly “All Collectively Now” emails and other communications for updates.
For extra facts on the Task Power for Significant Modify and its hottest functions, keep an eye out for even more e-mails and examine Listed here.
If indeed democracy is not a spectator sport, let us get off the sidelines and into the video game.
Certified organizer. Problem solver. Gamer. Devoted troublemaker. Avid zombie specialist.